Justices of the Florida Supreme Court

Address:
Supreme Court of Florida
500 South Duval Street
Tallahassee Florida
32399-1925

Justice's Banner

Justice David Shelby Walker

David Shelby Walker was born near Russellville, Logan County, Kentucky, on May 2, 1815, the son of David and Mary (Barbour) Walker.  He was educated in private schools in Kentucky and Tennessee and studied law with his elder brother, George K. Walker, who preceded him to Florida.  In 1837, he settled in Leon County.  He became a member of the first state Senate in 1845 and of the House of Representatives in 1848.  He was mayor of Tallahassee in 1852, and state registrar of public lands from 1850–1859.  In 1856, he was the unsuccessful American Party candidate for governor.  Walker was elected an associate justice of the Supreme Court in 1859, where he served until 1865.  Elected governor under the constitution of 1865, his administration was terminated in June, 1868, by the inauguration of a new constitution that year.  He returned to the private practice of law until 1879, when Governor George F. Drew appointed him judge of the Second Judicial Circuit, where he served until his death in 1891.

All inquiries about this page:

publicinformation@flcourts.org