Frequently Asked Questions

Supreme Court FAQs Clerk's Office FAQs

The content of this website is intended to assist the public in the general understanding of the judicial branch of the state of Florida. It is not an official Court document. The accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. No entity within the judicial branch assumes any liability in connection with the use of the content. Nothing contained on this website is legal advice. If you need legal advice, you should contact a licensed attorney. 

Supreme Court FAQs

How do I obtain Standard Jury Instructions?

Contact The Florida Bar at (850) 561-5600 for paper copies. Visit the jury instructions website.

Where can I find legal forms or get help with my divorce?

Divorce forms are located on the Florida Courts HELP website. The Florida State Courts System's Self-Help Center is your online guide to help direct you through the court system. The self-help website includes family law forms -- including divorce, custody, parenting plans, and more -- approved by the Florida Supreme Court. Additional resources include a directory of local self-help centers, web links to free and low cost legal aid, and more. 

What is the number for the Second Judicial Circuit?

The phone number for the clerk's office at the Second Judicial Circuit is (850) 577-4000.

I want to talk about my legal case.

Like all judges, the Justices of the Florida Supreme Court are required by law to observe very strict ethical standards -- far stricter than for any other public official. These standards absolutely forbid the Justices and their legal staffs to talk with anyone about pending cases or to explain or elaborate upon an opinion the Court has issued. We understand that many people would like to talk to the Justices and their staffs about cases, but the Constitution and laws of Florida actually prohibit this practice.

Read more about this topic on our Talking to Justices and Their Staff page.

I want to talk about a Court opinion.

The Code of Judicial Conduct governing behavior by judges forbids the Justices of the Florida Supreme Court to discuss pending cases with the public. Please do not call the Court expecting to speak with a Justice about any case.

If you have a comment to make, please mail it to the Clerk's Office at 500 S. Duval St., Tallahassee FL 32399. However, the Court is only allowed to consider arguments made in court arguments and documents filed by actual parties in the case. They cannot ethically read or consider any other opinions or arguments about the case, and they cannot give legal advice.

Read more about talking with justices and their staff.

What if my case is not yet set up and my jurisdictional brief is due?

If you are at the deadline for filing your jurisdictional brief or you must file some other document, and the case file has not yet been set up within the Portal to accept subsequent filings, then call the Clerk's Office at (850) 488-0125.

I want to complain about a judge.

All matters regarding misconduct by Judges are handled by the Judicial Qualifications Commission. You may obtain more information on filing a complaint from the agency's Tallahassee headquarters by emailing or by visiting the JQC Website.

How much is the filing fee?

The filing fee for cases filed in the Florida Supreme Court is $300.00

I want to complain about an attorney.

All matters regarding misconduct of attorneys and professional discipline for misconduct are handled by The Florida Bar. You may reach the Bar's Tallahassee offices for more information on filing a complaint at (850) 561-5600 or (800) 342-8060 at extension 5839, or access the Florida Bar Website.

How do I get a Certificate of Good Standing as a member of The Florida Bar?

Send a letter to the Supreme Court Clerk's Office requesting the certificate. You should include your name, Florida Bar number and a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the certificate. The fee for a certificate is $7.00 per certificate. Checks should be made payable to: Clerk, Florida Supreme Court.

Please send the request to:

Florida Supreme Court
Attention: Clerk's Office
500 South Duval Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1927

If you need an expedited certificate, you may send an expedited FedEx return envelope with your request. Alternatively, you can have someone request the certificate in person at the above address.

If you are not currently a member in good standing you will need to submit a request to The Florida Bar at 651 East Jefferson street, Tallahassee, Florida 32399.

I need a lawyer. Who can I call?

You may get a referral from The Florida Bar by calling (850) 561-5600. You also can locate particular attorneys by using the Find a Lawyer search engine on The Florida Bar website.

How do I officially change my name with The Florida Bar?

Send a letter or a completed Name Change Request FormPDF Download to the Supreme Court Clerk's Office requesting your name be changed on the roll of attorneys. The request may be emailed to or mailed to Florida Supreme Court, Clerk's Office, 500 South Duval Street, Tallahassee FL 32399.

Your request should include: your name as currently listed with The Florida Bar; your new name clearly divided into first, middle, and last names; and your Florida Bar number. If you wish for the name change order to be returned by mail, rather than to your registered email address, you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your mailed request. Please do not send any personal documents, such as copies of identification documents or marriage/dissolution documents, with this form. Such documents are not needed to process a name change request.

I need legal help but can't afford an attorney/lawyer.

If you have a civil legal problem but cannot afford to hire a private lawyer, you still may have access to the legal system through your local legal services-legal aid organization which provides free or low cost legal services to persons with low incomes. Information about many of these local services can be found on the state court webpage for legal aid.

I want to visit the court and schedule a tour.

The Florida Supreme Court offers tours and educational programs to student groups from the 4th grade through 12th grade and to citizen groups of all ages. Read more about our programs on our Education and Tours page.

May I file pleadings by e-mail?

NO. If you are a member of The Florida Bar in good standing, then you may NOT file pleadings by e-mail unless you are specifically exempt from use of the Florida Courts eFiling Portal. (AOSC13-7PDF Download)

If you are a pro se filer or are a member of The Florida Bar, but not in good standing, then you may NOT e-mail a copy of your pleading.

NOTE: For additional information, see: General Filing Information.

Who do I contact if I left items while visiting the supreme court?

Any person wishing to claim lost property must contact the Marshal's Office at (850) 488-8845. Unclaimed property is retained by this office and disposed of in accordance with Florida law. Review the Marshal's webpage for more information.

What is the correct font size and type for briefs?

Florida Rule of Appellate Procedure 9.210(a) requires all briefs that are computer-generated to be submitted in either Times New Roman 14-point font or Courier New 12-point font. These are the only font types that are acceptable. Also, all briefs that are computer-generated shall contain a certificate of compliance signed by the counsel, or the party if unrepresented, certifying that the brief complies with the font requirements of this rule. This certification shall be included right after the certificate of service.

I need to request the use of the Supreme Court building for my group/organization.

The Supreme Court building is public property and its public areas may be used by non-governmental groups only if the activity furthers a clearly identified public purpose. Examples include educational, informational and historical programs. Read more on our Building Request page.

May a corporation represent itself in court?

While an individual may represent her or his interest in court without an attorney, a corporation is not permitted to do so through non-lawyer employees, officers, or shareholders. See Richter v. Higdon Homes, Inc., 544 So.2d 300 (Fla. 1st DCA 1989); Nicholson Supply Co. vs. First Federal Savings & Loan Assoc. of Hardee County, 184 So. 2d 438 (Fla. 2d DCA 1966).

What must a foreign attorney do to appear on behalf of a client in the Florida Supreme Court?

Attorneys who are members in good standing in other jurisdictions may be granted permission by court order to appear in proceedings in this Court. Submissions must be in compliance with both Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure 9.440(a) and the requirements contained in Florida Rules of Judicial Administration.

How do I expunge or seal my criminal record?

You must apply to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The contact number is 850-410-7870.


Notice to the Public:

The Code of Judicial Conduct governing behavior by judges prohibits the judges and staff of the Supreme Court from discussing pending cases with the public, from giving legal advice, and from discussing the meaning of any law or regulation.