Clerk's Office FAQs

The content of this website is intended to assist the public in the general understanding of the judicial branch of the state of Florida.  It is not an official Court document. The accuracy of the content is not guaranteed. No entity within the judicial branch assumes any liability in connection with the use of the content.  Nothing contained on this website is legal advice.  If you need legal advice, you should contact a licensed attorney. 

NOTE: Most questions can be answered by reading the Court's Internal Operating ProceduresPDF Download. Also visit the Supreme Court's FAQ page for additional help.

How do I obtain Standard Jury Instructions?

Contact The Florida Bar at (850) 561-5600 for paper copies. Visit the jury instructions website.

What is the number for the Second Judicial Circuit?

The phone number for the clerk's office at the Second Judicial Circuit is (850) 577-4000.

What if my case is not yet set up and my jurisdictional brief is due?

If you are at the deadline for filing your jurisdictional brief or you must file some other document, and the case file has not yet been set up within the Portal to accept subsequent filings, then call the Clerk's Office at (850) 488-0125.

How much is the filing fee?

The filing fee for cases filed in the Florida Supreme Court is $300.00

How do I get a Certificate of Good Standing as a member of The Florida Bar?

Send a letter to the Supreme Court Clerk's Office requesting the certificate. You should include your name, Florida Bar number and a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the certificate. The fee for a certificate is $7.00 per certificate. Checks should be made payable to: Clerk, Florida Supreme Court.

Please send the request to:

Florida Supreme Court
Attention: Clerk's Office
500 South Duval Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1927

If you need an expedited certificate, you may send an expedited FedEx return envelope with your request. Alternatively, you can have someone request the certificate in person at the above address.

If you are not currently a member in good standing you will need to submit a request to The Florida Bar at 651 East Jefferson street, Tallahassee, Florida 32399.

How do I officially change my name with The Florida Bar?

Send a letter or a completed Name Change Request FormPDF Download to the Supreme Court Clerk's Office requesting your name be changed on the roll of attorneys. The request may be emailed to or mailed to Florida Supreme Court, Clerk's Office, 500 South Duval Street, Tallahassee FL 32399.

Your request should include: your name as currently listed with The Florida Bar; your new name clearly divided into first, middle, and last names; and your Florida Bar number. If you wish for the name change order to be returned by mail, rather than to your registered email address, you must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your mailed request. Please do not send any personal documents, such as copies of identification documents or marriage/dissolution documents, with this form. Such documents are not needed to process a name change request.

May I file pleadings by e-mail?

NO. If you are a member of The Florida Bar in good standing, then you may NOT file pleadings by e-mail unless you are specifically exempt from use of the Florida Courts eFiling Portal. (AOSC13-7PDF Download)

If you are a pro se filer or are a member of The Florida Bar, but not in good standing, then you may NOT e-mail a copy of your pleading.

NOTE: For additional information, see: General Filing Information.

What is the correct font size and type for briefs?

Florida Rule of Appellate Procedure 9.210(a) requires all briefs that are computer-generated to be submitted in either Times New Roman 14-point font or Courier New 12-point font. These are the only font types that are acceptable. Also, all briefs that are computer-generated shall contain a certificate of compliance signed by the counsel, or the party if unrepresented, certifying that the brief complies with the font requirements of this rule. This certification shall be included right after the certificate of service.

May a corporation represent itself in court?

While an individual may represent her or his interest in court without an attorney, a corporation is not permitted to do so through non-lawyer employees, officers, or shareholders. See Richter v. Higdon Homes, Inc., 544 So.2d 300 (Fla. 1st DCA 1989); Nicholson Supply Co. vs. First Federal Savings & Loan Assoc. of Hardee County, 184 So. 2d 438 (Fla. 2d DCA 1966).

What must a foreign attorney do to appear on behalf of a client in the Florida Supreme Court?

Attorneys who are members in good standing in other jurisdictions may be granted permission by court order to appear in proceedings in this Court. Submissions must be in compliance with both Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure 9.440(a) and the requirements contained in Florida Rules of Judicial Administration.

How do I expunge or seal my criminal record?

You must apply to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The contact number is 850-410-7870.