Justice Arthur J. England, Jr.
Former Justice Arthur J. England was the 63rd Justice on the Supreme Court. He served from 1975 to 1981.
After earning a B.S. from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Finance in 1955, Arthur J. England, Jr. spent two years in Army counter-intelligence in Munich, Germany. He then returned to Penn Law School, and graduated magna cum laude in 1961. He joined one of New York City’s premier law firms, practicing tax and corporate law, and then moved to Florida in 1964 to join that firm’s Miami office. He later earned an LL.M. in taxation from the University of Miami Law School.
England became part of a circle of politically active, progressive lawyers in Miami. In 1969, he became the lead tax lawyer at McCarthy, Steel, Hector & Davis. During this time, England served as special tax counsel to the Florida Legislature and as consumer advisor and special counsel to Florida governor, Reuben Askew. He drafted the Florida Corporate Income Tax Code in 1971, the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Practice Law in 1973, and the Florida Administrative Procedure Act in 1974.
England was elected to the Florida Supreme Court in 1975, as its first Jewish justice, and helped restore the Court’s integrity after a series of scandals and resignations.
He pioneered the nation’s first program to use the bank interest paid on lawyer trust accounts to finance legal services for the poor, and also helped to open Florida’s courtrooms to camera coverage, the first state in the nation to do so.
England left the Court in 1981, and returned to private law practice in Miami.
Quick facts about Justice England:
- (Dade) [served 6 years, 7 months]
- Served January 7, 1975 – August 9, 1981 as Justice [elected at age 42]
- Served July 1, 1978 – June 30, 1980 as Chief Justice
- b. Dayton, Ohio, December 23, 1932 d. August 1, 2013, Coral Gables, Florida
- County Judge: No. Circuit Judge: No.
- Justice James E.C. Perry
- Justice Kenneth B. Bell
- Justice Raoul G. Cantero
- Justice Peggy A. Quince
- Justice R. Fred Lewis
- Justice Barbara J. Pariente
- Justice Harry Lee Anstead
- Justice Charles Talley Wells
- Justice Major B. Harding
- Justice Gerald Kogan
- Justice Stephen H. Grimes
- Justice Rosemary Barkett
- Justice Leander J. Shaw, Jr.
- Justice Raymond Ehrlich
- Justice Parker Lee McDonald
- Justice James E. Alderman
- Justice Frederick Brennan Karl
- Justice Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Justice Alan C. Sundberg
- Justice Arthur J. England, Jr.
- Justice Ben. F. Overton
- Justice Hal P. Dekle
- Justice David Lucius McCain
- Justice Joseph Arthur Boyd, Jr.
- Justice James Calhoun Adkins, Jr.
- Justice Vassar Benjamin Carlton
- Justice Wade Lee Hopping
- Justice Richard William Ervin
- Justice Millard Fillmore Caldwell
- Justice Stephen C. O'Connell
- Justice Benjamin Campbell Thornal
- Justice Edward Harris Drew
- Justice John Elie Mathews
- Justice Bonnie Kaslo Roberts
- Justice Tolbert Frank Hobson
- Justice Paul Dryden Barns
- Justice Harold Leon "Tom" Sebring
- Justice Alto Lee Adams
- Justice Elwyn Thomas
- Justice Roy Harrison Chapman
- Justice Fred Henry Davis
- Justice Rivers Henderson Buford
- Justice Louie Willard Strum
- Justice Armstead Brown
- Justice William Glenn Terrell
- Justice Thomas Franklin West
- Justice Jefferson Beale Browne
- Justice William Hull Ellis
- Justice Charles Breckenridge Parkhill
- Justice James Bryan Whitfield
- Justice William Adams Hocker
- Justice Evelyn Croom Maxwell
- Justice Robert Spratt Cockrell
- Justice Thomas M. Shackleford
- Justice Francis Beauregard Carter
- Justice Benjamin Sullivan Liddon
- Justice Milton Harvey Mabry
- Justice Robert Fenwick Taylor
- Justice Henry Laurens Mitchell
- Justice Geoge Pettus Raney
- Justice George Gray Mcwhorter
- Justice Robert Bruce Van Valkenburgh
- Justice Franklin D. Fraser
- Justice James Diament Westcott, Jr.
- Justice Ossian Bingley Hart
- Justice Edwin M. Randall
- Justice Samuel James Douglas
- Justice James Mcnair Baker
- Justice Augustus Emmet Maxwell
- Justice David Shelby Walker
- Justice William Augustus Forward
- Justice Bird Murphy Pearson
- Justice Charles H. Dupont
- Justice Benjamin D. Wright
- Justice Albert Gallatin Semmes
- Justice Leslie Atchinson Thompson
- Justice Walker Anderson
- Justice Joseph Bradford Lancaster
- Justice George W. Macrae
- Justice George Sydney Hawkins
- Justice Thomas Baltzell
- Justice Thomas Douglas