Justice Evelyn Croom Maxwell
Former Justice Evelyn Maxwell was the 31st Justice on the Supreme Court and served from 1902-1904. His father, Augustus Maxwell, had served as a Florida Supreme Court justice immediately after the Civil War and again from 1887 to 1889.
Evelyn attended public school in Pensacola and then the University of Nashville, in Tennessee, where he graduated in 1882.
By 1885, he returned to Pensacola and was admitted to the Florida Bar. By 1892, he had begun service as a judge of the Criminal Court of Record of Escambia County. In 1896, he was appointed to the First Judicial Circuit Court.
After five years on the bench, Maxwell was appointed, in 1901, to be one of the commissioners of the Florida Supreme Court. The office of commissioner was created by the Florida Legislature to adjudicate some of the backlog of cases that the three-justice supreme court had been unable to address in a timely way.
The next year, in 1902, the legislature created three additional justice positions to bring the total number of justices to six. Maxwell was appointed as one of those new justices.
After only 15 months on the court, he resigned to return to private practice in Pensacola, his hometown, where he spent the rest of his life.
Quick facts about Justice Maxwell:
Served as Justice from December 1, 1902 – February 15, 1904 as Justice [appointed at age 39, served 1 year, 3 months]
- Born: July 27, 1863 - Evergreen, Alabama
- Died: November 17, 1954, Pensacola, Florida
- County Judge: No.
- Circuit Judge: Yes.
- Justice James E.C. Perry
- Justice Kenneth B. Bell
- Justice Raoul G. Cantero
- Justice Peggy A. Quince
- Justice R. Fred Lewis
- Justice Barbara J. Pariente
- Justice Harry Lee Anstead
- Justice Charles Talley Wells
- Justice Major B. Harding
- Justice Gerald Kogan
- Justice Stephen H. Grimes
- Justice Rosemary Barkett
- Justice Leander J. Shaw, Jr.
- Justice Raymond Ehrlich
- Justice Parker Lee McDonald
- Justice James E. Alderman
- Justice Frederick Brennan Karl
- Justice Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Justice Alan C. Sundberg
- Justice Arthur J. England, Jr.
- Justice Ben. F. Overton
- Justice Hal P. Dekle
- Justice David Lucius McCain
- Justice Joseph Arthur Boyd, Jr.
- Justice James Calhoun Adkins, Jr.
- Justice Vassar Benjamin Carlton
- Justice Wade Lee Hopping
- Justice Richard William Ervin
- Justice Millard Fillmore Caldwell
- Justice Stephen C. O'Connell
- Justice Benjamin Campbell Thornal
- Justice Edward Harris Drew
- Justice John Elie Mathews
- Justice Bonnie Kaslo Roberts
- Justice Tolbert Frank Hobson
- Justice Paul Dryden Barns
- Justice Harold Leon "Tom" Sebring
- Justice Alto Lee Adams
- Justice Elwyn Thomas
- Justice Roy Harrison Chapman
- Justice Fred Henry Davis
- Justice Rivers Henderson Buford
- Justice Louie Willard Strum
- Justice Armstead Brown
- Justice William Glenn Terrell
- Justice Thomas Franklin West
- Justice Jefferson Beale Browne
- Justice William Hull Ellis
- Justice Charles Breckenridge Parkhill
- Justice James Bryan Whitfield
- Justice William Adams Hocker
- Justice Evelyn Croom Maxwell
- Justice Robert Spratt Cockrell
- Justice Thomas M. Shackleford
- Justice Francis Beauregard Carter
- Justice Benjamin Sullivan Liddon
- Justice Milton Harvey Mabry
- Justice Robert Fenwick Taylor
- Justice Henry Laurens Mitchell
- Justice Geoge Pettus Raney
- Justice George Gray Mcwhorter
- Justice Robert Bruce Van Valkenburgh
- Justice Franklin D. Fraser
- Justice James Diament Westcott, Jr.
- Justice Ossian Bingley Hart
- Justice Edwin M. Randall
- Justice Samuel James Douglas
- Justice James Mcnair Baker
- Justice Augustus Emmet Maxwell
- Justice David Shelby Walker
- Justice William Augustus Forward
- Justice Bird Murphy Pearson
- Justice Charles H. Dupont
- Justice Benjamin D. Wright
- Justice Albert Gallatin Semmes
- Justice Leslie Atchinson Thompson
- Justice Walker Anderson
- Justice Joseph Bradford Lancaster
- Justice George W. Macrae
- Justice George Sydney Hawkins
- Justice Thomas Baltzell
- Justice Thomas Douglas