Justice James E. Alderman

Justice James E. Alderman

Justice James E. Alderman

Former Justice James Alderman attended public schools in St. Lucie County and earned a B.A. from the University of Florida in 1958 and a law degree from the University of Florida College of Law in 1961. 

After graduation, he practiced law in Fort Pierce for 10 years.  During that time, he served as a part-time United States commissioner and a part-time United States magistrate for the Southern District of Florida.

In 1971, he was appointed to the St. Lucie County Court by Governor Reuben Askew, and in 1972, he was elected to a six-year term as a circuit judge of the Nineteenth Judicial Circuit. 

In 1976, he was appointed to the Fourth District Court of Appeal, and in 1978, Gov. Askew appointed him to the Florida Supreme Court.  He was 41. At that time, Alderman was the only sitting justice who had served as a judge at all levels of the state judicial system. 

He served on the supreme court until 1985, when he left to run his family’s cattle ranch west of Ft. Pierce.

Justice Alderman served as Justice for seven (7) years and four (4) months from April 11, 1978 to August 31, 1985. He served as Chief Justice from July 1, 1982 to June 30, 1984. He was born in Fort Pierce, Florida, on November 1, 1936. His date of death is unknown.  

Former Justices

Contact Information

Florida Supreme Court
500 South Duval Street
Tallahassee, Florida
32399-1925 | EMAIL
Talking with Justices and Staff