Justice John Elie Mathews
Former Justice John Elie Mathews was the 50th Justice on the Supreme Court. He served from 1951-1955.
A politician for many years, as well as a lawyer, John Mathews started his law career in Georgia in 1913. He moved to Jacksonville and opened a law practice in 1916.
Mathews became very active in Florida politics, running first for the House of Representatives, where he served from 1928 – 1932, then serving in the Senate, from 1942 - 1951. While in the senate, he was one of the leaders of the 1945 movement to re-apportion the legislature to reflect the population growth of Florida’s cities.
He led an unsuccessful effort to exclude black citizens from the Democratic primary election in 1947. He also opposed racial integration at the University of Florida when a qualified black student applied to the law school.
In 1951, he was appointed to the Florida Supreme Court by his long-time friend and political ally, Governor Fuller Warren.
He worked for the creation of the District Courts of Appeal to ease the overwhelming workload of the supreme court. And he also spoke out against the United States Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education decision that mandated school integration in 1954.
Mathews was elected chief justice by his fellow justices in January 1955, and he assumed the office, but suffered a stroke and died that April.
Quick facts about Justice Mathews:
- John Elie Mathews (Duval) [served 3 years, 6 months]
- Served October 23, 1951 – April 30, 1955 as Justice
- Served January 11, 1955 – April 30, 1955 as Chief Justice [appointed at age 59]
- b. Tatnall County, Georgia, July 19, 1892 d. April 30, 1955, Tallahassee, Florida
- County Judge: No. Circuit Judge: No.
- Justice James E.C. Perry
- Justice Kenneth B. Bell
- Justice Raoul G. Cantero
- Justice Peggy A. Quince
- Justice R. Fred Lewis
- Justice Barbara J. Pariente
- Justice Harry Lee Anstead
- Justice Charles Talley Wells
- Justice Major B. Harding
- Justice Gerald Kogan
- Justice Stephen H. Grimes
- Justice Rosemary Barkett
- Justice Leander J. Shaw, Jr.
- Justice Raymond Ehrlich
- Justice Parker Lee McDonald
- Justice James E. Alderman
- Justice Frederick Brennan Karl
- Justice Joseph Woodrow Hatchett
- Justice Alan C. Sundberg
- Justice Arthur J. England, Jr.
- Justice Ben. F. Overton
- Justice Hal P. Dekle
- Justice David Lucius McCain
- Justice Joseph Arthur Boyd, Jr.
- Justice James Calhoun Adkins, Jr.
- Justice Vassar Benjamin Carlton
- Justice Wade Lee Hopping
- Justice Richard William Ervin
- Justice Millard Fillmore Caldwell
- Justice Stephen C. O'Connell
- Justice Benjamin Campbell Thornal
- Justice Edward Harris Drew
- Justice John Elie Mathews
- Justice Bonnie Kaslo Roberts
- Justice Tolbert Frank Hobson
- Justice Paul Dryden Barns
- Justice Harold Leon "Tom" Sebring
- Justice Alto Lee Adams
- Justice Elwyn Thomas
- Justice Roy Harrison Chapman
- Justice Fred Henry Davis
- Justice Rivers Henderson Buford
- Justice Louie Willard Strum
- Justice Armstead Brown
- Justice William Glenn Terrell
- Justice Thomas Franklin West
- Justice Jefferson Beale Browne
- Justice William Hull Ellis
- Justice Charles Breckenridge Parkhill
- Justice James Bryan Whitfield
- Justice William Adams Hocker
- Justice Evelyn Croom Maxwell
- Justice Robert Spratt Cockrell
- Justice Thomas M. Shackleford
- Justice Francis Beauregard Carter
- Justice Benjamin Sullivan Liddon
- Justice Milton Harvey Mabry
- Justice Robert Fenwick Taylor
- Justice Henry Laurens Mitchell
- Justice Geoge Pettus Raney
- Justice George Gray Mcwhorter
- Justice Robert Bruce Van Valkenburgh
- Justice Franklin D. Fraser
- Justice James Diament Westcott, Jr.
- Justice Ossian Bingley Hart
- Justice Edwin M. Randall
- Justice Samuel James Douglas
- Justice James Mcnair Baker
- Justice Augustus Emmet Maxwell
- Justice David Shelby Walker
- Justice William Augustus Forward
- Justice Bird Murphy Pearson
- Justice Charles H. Dupont
- Justice Benjamin D. Wright
- Justice Albert Gallatin Semmes
- Justice Leslie Atchinson Thompson
- Justice Walker Anderson
- Justice Joseph Bradford Lancaster
- Justice George W. Macrae
- Justice George Sydney Hawkins
- Justice Thomas Baltzell
- Justice Thomas Douglas